There are so many creative treats that you can make with a watermelon.This watermelon cake is perfect for the those hot summer days when you want to avoid using the oven. It’s hydrating, packed with electrolytes, and is great for any BBQ or picnic. Your kids will love this patriotic cake, so get creative and experiment with different fruit combinations to add to its festive appeal. Or if you want something easy just cube , juice and freeze in popsicle holders
I large seedless watermelon
2 large wooden skewers
1 quart strawberries with their stems removed
1 pint blueberries
1 large pineapple peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch triangles,
1 ½ pounds seedless green grapes
2 large oranges, peeled and sliced into ¼ inch thick quarter-moons
3-4 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced into ½-inch-thick cross sections
1 box toothpicks
1. Cut the watermelon about 2 inches from each end. Remove the outer skin of the watermelon and slice into circular layers. The first layer should be about 8 inches in diameter, decreasing the size of each subsequent layer about 2 inches. When finished, you should have three slices of watermelon, 8, 6, 4 and 3 inches in diameter.
2. Arrange the watermelon layers on top of one another. The smallest layer should be on top.
3. Use skewers to hold the layers in place. Place the skewers so that they are not visible.
4. Using toothpicks, fasten additional fruit to the cake
5. Slice the “fruit cake” how you would for any other cake or pie and avoid the skewers as you eat and enjoy this refreshing summer snack.
Watermelon is sweetest during the summer. It makes the perfect summer snack that’s both hydrating and packed with electrolytes, including potassium and sodium, which we loss when we sweat. Watermelon is an excellent source of carotenoids, especially lycopene, which has powerful antioxidant properties. In fact, it contains more lycopene than any other raw fruit or vegetable. Watermelon is packed with B vitamins that are essential for energy production. Additionally, watermelon seeds are a great plant source of protein if you want to juice the whole watermelon