But don’t fear! There are simple ways to slowly but surely change your snacking choices. First, explore your neighborhood and see the different options out there. If you are familiar with your surroundings, you can make good decisions even when you are in a rush.
Second, be a food "detective" when making snack and beverage choices. Don’t be afraid to ask questions about the ingredients used in local food establishments!
Third, the packaging of a product may be attractive, but the only way to truly know what you are eating is to look at the nutrition label on the back.
Armed with the right tips, and tricks it can be easy to snack smart even when you are on the go. Remember, a smart snack should contain a protein, a complex carbohydrate, and a healthy fat. While this may sound a bit daunting at first the combination can be easily achieved, and fuel you for hours. Here is a list of ten simple and accessible snacks!
- Fruit with nut butter, e.g. green apple with peanut butter, banana with almond butter, red apple with sunflower seed butter (perfect for nut allergies!)
- Veggies with hummus
- Trail mixes of nuts and dried fruit
- Cheese sticks with whole-grain crackers and avocado slices
- Lara Bars- many interesting flavors!
- Yogurt with berries and a couple of nuts for crunch and healthy fat
- Seaweed rolled up with brown rice and avocado or cucumbers
- Frozen fruit smoothie: try banana, almond milk and some almond butter for a refreshing and energizing option
- Brown rice cake with nut butter and raisins
- Turkey cheese and avocado rollups