Saturday, April 23, 2011

Candy For Conscious Parents

Chocolate Candy Crunchies

Makes 12 servings

These are perfect for any festive occasion. While they look and taste like candy, there is no added refined sugar. All the sweetness comes from the raisins and chocolate. Both of these ingredients are also powerful antioxidants. My grandmother told me, and I have passed this down to my own kids, that everything that goes into our bodies should nourish us. These certainly do the trick. When I put these out at parties, there is never any leftover. Need I say more?

Ingredients:

½ cup of toasted walnuts
½ cup soft raisins
½ cup organic cornflakes
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
½ teaspoon ground flax seeds


Directions:
1. Chop the nuts finely.
2. Toss nuts into a bowl with the raisins and cornflakes.
3. Gently melt the chocolate chips on top of a double boiler.
4. Pour chocolate into the bowl and stir all ingredients together.
5. Drop mixture onto parchment paper by using a small tablespoon.
6. Chill in the refrigerator for one hour.

Enhance Young Brains
Omega 3 fatty acids in walnuts and almonds are the beneficial fats found to be important for kids’ mood and cognitive function. To determine the brain benefits of Omega 3, scientists prescribed Omega 3 fatty acid supplements to elementary school children who were struggling academically. After taking the supplements, many children reported to having better focus and improved academic performance. The best and most absorbent omega 3 fatty acids are DHA and EPA, which are found most abundantly in nuts, fish and avocado. Snacking on these foods a couple times a week typically provides enough omega 3 fatty acids for the average child.

5 comments:

  1. mmm what a great recipe! the cornflakes and walnuts will add a lovely crunch! :)

    Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these for my brother, who has such a sweet tooth, and he was in heaven. These are great! good texture and great taste!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great. I will def try these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these for my kids birthday party. I used sunflower seeds instead of nuts. All the kids loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a huge chocolate fan, so these seem right up my alley! These little guys will make for quite the guiltless chocolate treat

    ReplyDelete