Healthy high quality snacks, that consist of powerful proteins, complex carbohydrates and healthy fats are a great strategy for regulating blood sugar, appetite and warding off those mid-afternoon meltdowns.
The trap most parents fall into is not realizing the difference between a snack and a treat, or not being prepared enough to pack balanced snacks. A snack is merely a mini meal, meant to nourish your children. So Plan ahead and have healthy snack choices on hand. The ice cream truck is a treat, not a snack and will not sustain or nourish your kids.
Below are some of my favorite grab and go snacks, which should give you some ideas and help you plan ahead. I would love to hear your kids' favorite snacks!
- Apple or pears with almond, peanut, cashew, or sunflower butter
- Lara bars- a great three ingredient snack bar
- Cottage cheese mixed with, berries, walnuts /almonds/flax seeds
- Hummus with carrot sticks/ sliced red/yellow/orange pepper
- Guacamole with carrot sticks/ sliced red/yellow/orange peppers
- Ricotta cheese mixed with cocoa powder, stevia, and vanilla extract topped with berries
- Hardboiled eggs with carrot and celery sticks and hummus
- Celery sticks with organic peanut butter or almond butter add raisins for kids
- Avocado slices wrapped in nitrate-free turkey breast
- A piece of sprouted grain toast sprouted-grain preferred nutritionally over whole grain with almond butter and bananas
- Fresh sliced pineapple with a handful of pistachio nuts
- A bowl of blueberries mixed with raw almonds
- Cottage cheese with cinnamon, apple slices, and walnuts
- Organic cheese stick and carrots